A University of VA (Charlottesville) Pavillion Garden
Inspired by Thomas Jefferson's original designs
Pioneers of American Landscape Design (2000) is a book you need to know about and own if you are at all interested in garden history and preserving cultural and garden landscapes. It is one I turn to often to check on the background of the gardens and landscape creators about which I write.
This book is a project of the
- Natioanl Park Service Landscape Initiative
- Library of American Landscape History
- CATALOG of Landscape Records in the United States at Wave Hill (NY) and
- Cultural Landscape Foundation.
Although new copies (when one can find one) of Pioneers of American Landscape come with a hefty price tag, gently used copies are available through Internet book sites and independent book sellers. A copy is well worth having on your own reference book shelf.
Here are some articles about what else is on my Landscape Gardening Reference Book:
- The Landscape Design Bookshelf: Essential Landscape Design Books – New and Tried-and-True Favorites
- Garden Design and Structure: A Photographic Encyclopedia by
Text and photographs by